Friday, March 30, 2012

It's all about the basals....

The last few days have been nothing short of "interesting".... Tuesday evening Clifford has low after low, after low, starting at dinner with a 58 that he didn't feel. We couldn't get him up for anything, ended up having to suspend his pump until he finally got up to 98. At bedtime he was now a nice 105... But to me I expected some rebound highs from the lows that couldn't be brought up. And he got them 316 at 12, then 215 at 3am. At 5:15 I decided to test to see what was going on and he was 432?? Checked ketones 0.4 (okay well now that is not good since there are ketones)... Rechecked at 6:15 he was 319 still 0.4 ketones. Then he woke up at 6:30 saying he didn't feel good at all. We checked 419 0.8 ketones... (now that tells me something isn't right, tried to call his endo, but they told me that no one came in till 7am??? Whatever, after getting off that phone call not even 5-7 mins later he was 535 and 1.2 ketones.

Clifford at this time said you could tell I was serious because I took my robe off, went running for a syringe (on the shelf, don't keep them out anymore b/c of pumping), came in did some quick math, calculated 3.6 for correction via syringe, corrected, and pulled the site. Wish I would have taken a picture of it now. At first glance didn't seem too bad, but a closer look showed it was slighty askew and there was blood in the cannula. (sneaky little sucker, somewhere between 3 and 5 it did this) All was well with a correction shot, and a new site change. Called his doctors and told them I was keeping him home for monitoring. Took until about 3pm for him to get down under 200s but he did, and eventually was 111 for dinner time.

That was our first experience how everything can go downhill fast if the pump is not working properly. As for the title of this post, we're trying to figure out his basals, should it be 0.3 at night or 0.35, or 0.2 during the day or 0.3.. Honestly it's giving me a bit of a headache, but I know once they are figured out it will be smooth sailing... until he grows at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment