There are many things that diabetes has done, some good, some well mostly bad. But here is a compiled list to let those who may not have experience with the disease know just what Diabetes has done.
- Stripped my son of a normal childhood
- Turned our world upside down
- Taken away his freedom to do what he wants, or eat what he wants
- Made him grow up way to fast
- Become the center of our universe
- Taken the energy right out of me
- Made me fearful that when I put my son to sleep at night he won’t wake up in the morning ( I just wish someone would tell me that he is going to live until he’s 85 despite this disease, that would take so much worry away.) No one should have to put their child to bed at night fearing that might be the last time you see them.
- Made doctor’s appointments more frequent ( gone are the days of yearly check ups), instead it’s a visit every 3 months to see how we’re doing as his new pancreas.
- Made us human calculators (calculating carbs, activity levels, insulin active, etc, to try to figure out the correct dosage,yeah pretty much impossible)
In all of this there is one positive that diabetes has brought into our lives
The diabetic online community (DOC) when I found others that KNEW what we were going through it changed my entire outlook on the disease and has helped tremendously.
So there you have it. I’m sure there are more things that could be added, and other’s have different ones as well. This is just my opinion on what diabetes has brought into our lives.