No one should be dying from non diagnosis of Type 1. It is VERY important to recognize the signs and symptoms ahead of time, you can never be too careful. Take a moment to familiarize yourself with them, you never know when it will come in handy. You may save someones life!
Type 1 diabetes signs and symptoms can come on quickly and may include:
- Increased thirst and frequent urination. As excess sugar builds up in your bloodstream, fluid is pulled from your tissues. This may leave you thirsty. As a result, you may drink — and urinate — more than usual.
- Extreme hunger. Without enough insulin to move sugar into your cells, your muscles and organs become depleted of energy. This triggers intense hunger that may persist even after you eat. Without insulin, the sugar in your food never reaches your energy-starved tissues.
- Weight loss. Despite eating more than usual to relieve hunger, you may lose weight — sometimes rapidly. Without the energy sugar supplies, your muscle tissues and fat stores may simply shrink.
- Fatigue. If your cells are deprived of sugar, you may become tired and irritable.
- Blurred vision. If your blood sugar level is too high, fluid may be pulled from your tissues — including the lenses of your eyes. This may affect your ability to focus clearly.
I didn't know any of these symptoms before Cliffy was diagnosed. But he had weight loss, fatigue, extreme thirst, frequent urination. I know I said there are times I want to scream at the top of my lungs "I HATE BEING A PANCREAS", but I'm happy that today Cliffy is with us , and happy that I have the chance to be his pancreas! Unfortunately for so many that is not the case. Know the symptoms!!! It can save lives.