Friday, January 14, 2011

How long will I live???

The other day Clifford looks at me with tears in his eyes and says "Mommy you know why I'm sad". So I ask him why to which he responds "Because I know I won't live till I'm 100". Apparently he was talking to his cousin awhile back and he said something along the lines of "Well I'll be able to beat you up when I'm 100!". And his cousin replied "You won't be alive when your 100."

Well Clifford knows there are possible complications with his diabetes, because we have to stay on him to make healthier eating choices, and not to sneak into things that can hurt his blood sugar numbers. He took this as he will not live to 100 because he is diabetic. After a short sit down with Chad and I, he is now convinced he is going to outlive the oldest person in the world, he said he was shooting for 190! But will be happy with 117. We both explained to him how much more advanced the treatment of T1 is now adays then it was a long time ago, and there are many T1 (insulin dependent) diabetics that live a long healthy life, and outlive some of those who do not have diabetes. We just made sure to comment on the importance of keeping his numbers in range to help prevent complications that can arise. He is a smart kid, sometimes too smart for his age. He is apparently now living to 117, is going to be a doctor and is buying me this $200,000 house with his first years salary as a doctor :)... Nothing but tons of good times to look forward to.

1 comment:

  1. AWWW! The ripe ol' age of 117! Joe has started asking a little more about complications etc. I have responded very similarly. Our boys are GREAT!

    Have a nice w/e Bridget!

    ReplyDelete